Thursday, February 4, 2016

Haare Williams a strange but inspirational chance meeting  at The Grafton Bridge Cemetery with a ‘street kaumatua’ as a ‘light and breath   into what Auckland can be.

It’s Wednesday one year ago on 13 February, seven days and 174 years on since Hobson witnessed the signing of the treaty at Waitangi.  I still have a tingling feeling meeting ...

Remus Thompson-Jackson Kukutai
It’s a warm mid-summer’s day and I have come to The Grafton Bridge Cemetery to honour probably New Zealand’s most iconic historical figure ‘Captain William Hobson Lieutenant Governor, 1840-1842’.  I hadn’t realised that someone had joined me until a gravelly voice spoke, his diction as crisp as the fresh light. 

“Kia ora.  Ko Remus ahau; Remus Thompson-Jackson Kukutai”.  Surprised but not suspended.  Hmmm, Remus I thought now there’s a heroic name for a literary hero.  Was not the city of Rome founded by the twin brothers Remus and Romulus in 758BC?. 

We shared a short karakia with Hobson, then silence.  When he opened his eyes and mouth I was immediately drawn to the poet in him.  He regaled me with his whakapapa to Kukutai, a noble whanau of his Waiuku and Te Awhitu kin, a descendent therefore of the thirty-two chiefs being  the only signatories of the treaty in te reo Pakeha (English language). 

We were meant to be there that day.  His face was layered by the whips and scorns of the streets of Auckland and he, by his own admission a Street Kid.  “I’ve been on these streets for the best part of my life,” he admitted.  His face told me he must be a good seventy-plus.  His eyes expressed wit, empathy and a poetic nuance.

He spoke on decorously, “The strangers knew what they wanted:   land.  Maori wanted to protect their lands.  Heke knew what tauiwi (the strangers) wanted.  Heke quickly withdrew his moral support for the newcomers’ “Lust for more land.”  But, spurred on by the spirit of building a new nation, Apihai Te Kawau of Ngati Whatua wanted the same by making a ta koha (loan) of 3000 acres of prime tribal lands to build the new capital. 

In Auckland, the treaty was signed on five sites, the first on 4 March 1840 at Karaka Bay along the shoreline between Tamaki River and Maraetai.  The last at Waiuku (near the Waikato Heads) on 11 April 1840 by thirty-two chiefs of Ngati Paoa, Ngati Maru, Ngati Tipa, Ngati Pou and Ngati Tamatera (maybe Ngai Tai and Ngati Te Ata) and countersigned by Captain Joseph Nias and missionaries Henry Williams and William Fairburn. 

 “Don't ever forget!  Tell them.”  As I tried to get a word edgewise, I said, “Ok, I will.”

 “Maori were successful sailors, boat builders, navigators, carpenters, traders, soldiers, farmers and business people; we beat them at their own game.  Their science was the sky above and the earth below.”  He took a long breath.  “This is a waahi tapu that need tenderness and the human touch.”  

“Pakeha; they don't care for their mate (dead); nor about their tupuna (ancestors). They talk with passion about te tai ao (the environment). Nonsense!  We, Maori are the ones who carry the cost of any environmental damage and we’re still paying the price.”

 “Ko te moni ke te atua te atua o Te Pakeha.  This holy place is nothing more than an open toilet.” (he used a more graphic expletive to describe the condition of this ‘holy’ place).

He spoke on ponderously.  I tried to get another word.  He as I was, deeply shocked by the stressed look of Hobson’s resting place in a forgotten wilderness.  

 "Look at this, a Waahi Tapu, and what do you see (long pause), “... shit and litter.  And broken memorials, a rubbish dump, unkempt trees, around it a city without eyes, ears or a heart. “

We were there for probably an hour, maybe more.   Yet, gemstones fell from the lips of this luminary who has walked each pavement across the city he loves.  Before I left, he nudged me to recite a karakia and asked for ‘Whakaaria Mai,’ (Amazing Grace) for Hobson, for this waahi tapu, for rangatahi who find solace under the bridge and for a city for its indifference for those who reside here. 

We embraced in a long hongi as we parted, I said, “Thank you your amazing grace,” He bowed with a smile.  I asked for and he gave me his address at 140 Hobson Street.  I assured him that I’d pick him up for lunch. 

I looked back to wave and catch his eye but he was already in an animated conversation, quite likely apologising to Hobson for the sins and omissions of the great city he founded.  Again I saw the poet who did not lack nuance or faith in his words.  He struck me as angry, yes, but rich, feisty and compassionate.  Hobson deserves more than this.  Where then is the noble patrimony of state, civic, church and marae elders.  Any sign of that is not visible.  Ngati Whatua alone on the 6th of February each year comes here at dawn to honour Hobson – and may I add Remus. No credit points to Auckland Council and the mighty super city plan which he renamed, “the most unliveable City in the world - if you’re Maori or poor that is.”
                 
As I left, I took away with me the rare images of a face sculpted by the whips and scorns of time with the shadows of tall oak trees and the lengthening stretches of sunlight that burnished a trail across forgotten head stones.  His words cutting deep, “Hobson was a good man.  A good man, e hoa!”

When I boarded my bus, I knew that I’d met a poet who sees a city desperate for happiness, a kind of epiphany in his sudden appearance with poetic words denouncing an “... uncaring city.  Is this retribution for having the vision and courage to build Auckland?  “No!” he assured me. His is not a lone voice in his remonstrations for hope.  

Since that day, I have tried to connect with him at 140 Hobson Street.  No one there.  I have checked with whanau at Whatapaka Marae on the Manukau.   They know of no-one by that name.  Was he just a part of my vivid imagination?  A spectral vision or did I meet an angel? Just suppose I actually met the reincarnation of the Roman hero, Remus? 

I know one thing, I’d met a poet who lacked neither nuance nor ambiguity; he struck me as rich in imagery, emotion, insight and an amazing grace. Remus Thompson-Jackson Kukutai.  Extra-ordinary!

We shared Hobson’s hope for a new nation as he recounted Hobson’s words.
“He iwi kotahi tatau. We are one people.”
(William Hobson 6 February 1840)

Hei kona mai.
Haare Williams

Papakura 5 February 2016